Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cooling Towers and Nottingham City Council House

On Saturday I had the pleasure speaking at a readers' day in Nottingham City Council House - that very imposing building in Market Square.

When I go to this kind of event, I am usually asked to speak at one of the parallel sessions - typically an audience of 30 or 40 people. But this time I kicked the day off, talking to the entire audience, 150 of the keenest readers you are likely to find, and showing them extracts from my new documentary 'Yarn'. (If you aren't a regular reader of this blog, I should explain that 'Yarn' is a journey around the readers' groups of the East Midlands, searching for the roots of our love of stories.)


After speaking for a few minutes about narrative and the way people enjoy readers' groups, I asked for a show of hands. "How many of you are members of a readers' group?" Almost every hand in the room went up. I'd been preaching to the converted. Still, they seemed to enjoy is, as did I.

On Saturday, I also had the great pleasure of having a good chat with the Nottingham poet, Rosie Garner. Her work and her approach to creativity are always inspiring to me.
Below is a picture taken out of a grubby train window on the way home. Cooling towers. Am I alone in loving the way these things look? But then, I like wind turbines too, and they seem unpopular.



Do let me know what you think.




No comments:

Followers