Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And the winners are...

Back from the Society of Authors, tired, but having had a really enjoyable day. How often do I get the chance to spend a whole day with three such talented, creative and insightful writers? It was a privilege.

Leicester Station
As to the competition for the best club anthology - it was won by the Wingerworth Wordsmiths, with their book 'Perspectives'. I would say that the Wingerworth Wordsmiths were worthy winners, but with that much alliteration I might not be able to finish the sentence. (Try saying it fast a few times and you'll see what I mean). I will say, however, that their anthology looks really impressive. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but the layout and appearance look really good.


I should also mention here, 'In a nutshell' produced by the Chobham Writers and 'Reflections' produced by Hertford Writers. Both fine looking books. I was enjoying an untitled poem in Reflections and only at the end realised the author, Katharine Elliot, is in year 11 at school. Extremely impressive. Clearly a talent to look out for in the future.

The judges commented how high the general standard was and indeed how standards had increased over the last few years.


We four from Leicester Writers' Club then walked around being tourists for a couple of hours before catching the train back home. (During which journey, Chris and I reverted to child-like behaviour, competing to be quickest on the draw with mobile phone cameras.)

1 comment:

Eagan Boilers said...

Thankk you for this

Followers