Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chris d'Lacey video

After shooting comes editing. Each time I am involved in video editing, I am amazed how much of the story telling takes place at that stage. Even if you have the script rock-solid beforehand. Even if you follow the script to the letter as you shoot.

If take 45 seconds of Chris talking to camera, I'll not want to hold that one shot for the full time in the final version - because it would feel slow if I did. Clearly, I need to be able to cut away from the shot of Chris talking for a few seconds and then cut back. What do I show in the cutaway? A shot of his bookcase perhaps? Or a cuddly toy on his desk? And where exactly do I drop that shot into the speech?

Just as readers will form opinions of a novel based on subtle hints of language, so viewers will form opinions based on this kind of minute change.

The video is finished now, however. Hopefully, I'll be able to put it on Youtube or a similar service. I'll let you know when it goes up.

No comments:

Followers